Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Current news, peacock and kittens

I have most of my work done so figured I'd check in here. Of course, there's only 2 hours of work left and it will be an hour at least until I get the daily invoices to sort and mail. Looking out the window, it looks like we have a storm coming in.
I work on the south side of Muncie but my house is close to the North-eastern county line. I can hear the rumble but the larger radar in motion shows the line of storms reaching from Muncie to Detroit. We are just getting the tip of the tail of it. Doesn't look like it will last long.
I was to cover for one of the women here at work but she decided not to take it off so, I asked if I could have Friday off to help with the family rummage sale and it's a go! Yea!! (Doing anything is better than working!)
Not a very interesting Today in History. Only thing that grabbed my attention was that Paris is celebrating it's 2057th birthday so here's some headlines from today with clickable links:

Magnitude 6 quake startles southern Peru

AREQUIPA, Peru, July 8, 2008 (Reuters) — A magnitude 6.0 earthquake rattled southern Peru early on Tuesday, startling residents in the Andean country's second-largest city, Arequipa, who ran out of their homes into the streets.

The epicenter of the quake was located 33 miles north-northwest of Arequipa, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. It was recorded at a depth of 46 miles.

Peru's police and civil defense agency said there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage, but magnitude 6 quakes are capable of causing severe damage.

NEW YORK, July 7, 2008 (Reuters) — Hurricane Bertha strengthened over the central Atlantic Ocean Monday morning and could reach Category 2 strength later in the day, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said in an advisory.
DENVER, June 12, 2008 (Reuters) — A lightning-sparked wildfire has blackened 20,000 acres in southeastern Colorado, and was threatening archaeological sites in a national forest, officials said on Thursday.


JAKARTA, June 12, 2008 (Reuters) — A volcano that started spewing hot mud in Indonesia two years ago displacing more than 50,000 people was triggered by tectonic activity, experts working for the energy firm blamed by some for the disaster said on Thursday.


WASHINGTON, June 9, 2008 (Reuters) — Drilling of a gas exploration well, and not an earthquake, set off a volcano that has been spewing boiling mud for two years and has displaced more than 50,000 people on the Indonesian island of Java, experts said on Monday.


I feel like I'm cheating on a test with so little to blogged about today lol. The peacock is still loosing feathers. We have gathered up about 18 or so. Abby, one of Amanda's friends from high school who is going to art school, said if we get any she would be glad to make something out of them for us. She is very good and very creative. Will be interesting to see what she does with them. I know so little about peacocks. I didn't know they shed their tail feathers. Yikes! Maybe they aren't suppose to? I'd better do some googling tonight! My luck it's the kittens stressing him out LOL That's all we need! A peacock with issues!
Last evening I saw all 3 momma cats lying on the back porch. There were kittens all over the porch steps and a bush we have next to the steps. The bush we had trimmed back so it looks a bit like an over-grown Bonsai tree. There were kittens climbing up from the branches and poking their heads out the top. Other kittens on the porch grabbing their heads as they popped up. It was just hilarious! And the whole time the Mommas just laid there, their tails tapping a slow beat, keeping an eye on the little ones. I still have no clue if it was all the kittens. I know the original 6 from 'old momma' were playing. There were a couple more that were just a little smaller that I think were either from 'Sissy momma' or 'Tiger momma' but I know Tiger momma has another tiger baby and I didn't see that one. There are just sooo many black ones it's hard to tell them apart!
Later, after the kittens had wore themselves out, the old momma laid down and let them nurse but there was 1 black one that had to check out the peacock. To our surprise, the peacock somehow laid down on it's side, kind of, and was trying to play with the kitten, who decided it was time for a dirt bath.
Last weekend, Saturday I think, the old momma came walking up the middle of the horseshoe drive being followed by a doe. Wish I'd had my camera ready. Seriously, the deer followed her through the yard to the woodshed and then got spooked.
See, I just learned something new. I went and googled peacock feathers and found out that the feathers without 'eyes' are called swords.




I didn't see any pricing on that page but I did see an ad for 10 Cut eye feathers for $7.95, doesn't sound like we'll be rich anytime soon. Ok, I gotta get busy and finish up work. Take care....until next blog.....

2 comments:

Movie Star Wife said...

We had peacocks when I was a kid (and peahens and peachicks). Yes, they do shed their feathers. I believe they do it every year. We always had feathers around. My friends all wanted them.

shakenbsis said...

I LOVE your animal stories! The kitteh's made me smile, thinking of them clinbing in the bushes ;) I jsut love to watch kitties play... this kinds made my day.

I'm sure you are glad to have something to smile about in the kitty department too...