Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President-Elect Obama

The Next Residents of the White House:



What an amazing election this was! Whoever won was going to make history. I will admit that both McCan's concession speech and Obama's acceptance speech brought tears to my eyes. Even before the speeches, as the camera panned the crowd in Chicago, I was awed by the diversity of citizen's standing side-by-side, shoulder-to-shoulder sharing one goal i found myself reaching for a tissue. There was one camera shot that showed an elderly black male with awe on his face, a middle aged white woman with tears of joy, a young black mother hugging a small child tightly with huge smiles on both their faces and a older white man who looked to be on the upper side of middle class all in one frame! Now how awesome is that, I ask?!! This nation has come along way, baby!!

Here, in Indiana, history was made also. This election was the first time Indiana voted Democrat since 1964! I'm a registered Democrat but often vote for Republican candidates. I believe you should vote for WHO you think will do the better job not just vote your party. I agonized, studied, play devil's advocate for both sides and was still debating in my head as I stood in line to vote yesterday. They let me off work early because of reports of long lines. Man, were they right! From the time I got in line until I exited the poll, it was just over 2 hours!! I've never seen lines or turn outs so HUGE!!! And remember I live in the boonies here! LOL

I know things won't change overnight or even quickly, for that matter. I honestly believe that in the long run, things will get better. Beside, we're going to have kids in the White House again!! For some reason that just makes me smile!

Until next post....

1 comment:

shakenbsis said...

Both speaches were very moving to me too Karen! (I did cry during both)

I am also thrilled about kids in the White House!!! (and a new puppy!)

we have come a looong way...