Friday, July 18, 2008

Grandkids and puppets

I got a call at work yesterday afternoon from Amanda to see if we could babysit. She isn't one to ask at the last minute but where Tom works was having a company dinner/meeting. They hadn't realized until the last minute that he didn't know about it. He delivers oxygen to home-patients and is on the road most of the days. Well, of course, I said sure. What kind of Maw-maw would I be if I said no!?

Boy did we have a blast!! We had gotten Faith a Sponge Bob tent when she was little and Tiffany was handing it down to Jack but it never made it past our house. Jack and Maggie had a lot of fun playing in and out of it. Jack saw one of Paw-paw's socks with a thin heel that I had laid over for the rag drawer and asked me 'What's that?' So I told him and then I slipped it on my hand and began talking to him with it like a puppet.

The look on his face was priceless but nothing compared to the look he got when Maw-maw went and got the button jar! We picked out buttons for the 'eyes' and nose', red for the eyes and blue for the nose and I started stitching them on. I don't even have the time to tell you the conversation on why Maw-maw was poking the sock with a needle! While I'm sewing I ask him what the socks name is? Charlie, Andy or Sally, but he says it Sock. So, the socks name is Sock lol! Once Sock has his eyes and nose Jack and I begin to play. I think Jack has a new best friend. Eventually, Jack wants Sock on his hand and watching him play just cracked me up! He and Sock are talking very seriously and then Jack would throw his head back and just laugh and laugh. I laughed so hard at him I thought I'd wet my pants!! What an imagination! When it came time for him to go home I could tell he didn't want to leave Sock. He finally asked if Sock could go to his house and I agreed. I'm still floating around today on last night's happiness...

Why is it that you can spent lots and lots of money on toys and then see them having so much fun with something you had around the house that cost nothing but a little time!? It's kind of like at Christmas, you buy them the toys they ask for and then they play with the box it came in!

Looking forward to the weekend. Nothing much planned so will probably work on house. We need some re-arranging done upstairs but will probably wait for cooler weather for that. The upstairs has no air-conditioning! Any breeze we get up there feels like your standing in front of a dryer vent.

Happy Birthday Hunter S. Thompson wherever you are! July 18, 1929 - February 20, 2005

This Day in History:

July 18, 1939

Sneak previews of The Wizard of Oz

MGM screens a sneak preview of The Wizard of Oz. After the screening, producers debate about removing what will later become the movie's signature song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." When the film was released in August, it contained the song. Some 15,000 people waited in line at the box office for the New York opening at the Loew's Capitol: 37,000 tickets were sold to seven shows on the first day. Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney performed onstage at the premiere, and Garland continued to perform a live stage show for the next several weeks.

Although MGM mogul Samuel Goldwyn had intended the role of Dorothy for Shirley Temple when he bought the film rights in 1934, Temple's appeal was fading fast by the late 1930s, and the role went to up-and-comer Garland instead. The film made the 17-year-old actress and singer an international star and earned her a special Oscar that year for Best Juvenile Performer.

The 101-minute-long film remained a classic for decades. In 1956, an estimated 45 million people tuned in to watch the movie debut on television as part of the Ford Star Jubilee. The movie spawned two sequels, including Journey Back to Oz (1974), an animated film featuring the voice of Liza Minnelli, Judy Garland's daughter, and Return to Oz (1985). A remake with an African American cast, The Wiz, starring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson, was released in 1978 with music arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones.

The movie is still one of America's top-selling videocassettes and one of the first 25 films to be put on the National Film Registry, which is reserved for culturally or historically significant movies. It ranked sixth in the American Film Institute's 1998 poll of America's 100 Greatest Movies.

Guess that's it for now. Take care until next post....

1 comment:

shakenbsis said...

Sounds like PURE JOY Karen!!! ;)