Tuesday, March 24, 2009

More on Mt. Redoubt


Photo courtesy of AVO/USGS from the Hut Webcam at 19:55:58 on 3-23-09

For some reason the web cam came back online late yesterday and we got to see the 6Th explosive event, yeah!! They also posted some pictures from the flyover they did yesterday.


The pictures above are courtesy of AVO/USGS and taken by Game McGimsey

The above pictures are of the Drift Valley where it's obvious there were some mud flows. After the 6 explosive events Mt. Redoubt quieted down for a few hours. I've been watching the webcorders and for the past 2-3 hours she has slowly started making noise again. Could be the beginning of more. For more information and pictures go to the AVO site here http://tinyurl.com/dd42l3

Also, one year ago today was the day I took off work and drove to Crown Point, Indiana to watch them shoot part of the movie Public Enemies. It's been 1 year since Johnny Depp said Hi to me. I posted about it at the time and if I can get it to work I'd like to re-post it here. You see, that's where all this Blogging started. First I was following Public Enemies on a blog and heard they were going to shoot the Crown Point jailbreak of Dillinger's at he real location. One thing led to another and before long I was Blogging. Here's the story of my day, one year ago.

March 24, 2008 - I was lucky enough to go to Crown Point on Monday. Left home at 7:30est and drove the 3 hours to get there listening to Vanessa's Bliss and Sweeney Todd CD's, over and over, so I was pumped when I arrived. When I first got there, around 10:30 the crowd wasn't thick but it did surround the blocked-off area. Thanks to SurferMom's info and Google I was parked just 1/2 block from the trailers. I hadn't been there 30 minutes and I got my first glimpse of Johnny as they took him the 2 blocks to the jail! He is so kind to his fans. I know this has been said before but it's just so true!! Any time he was out in public he always acknowledged the crowd by smiling and waving.


Luckily, I happened to be along the road they used to ferry him back-and-forth. The only bad thing was my camera was having battery issues!!! UGH!! I had a whole new pack of 6 batteries but it was the camera, evidently not the batteries! I should have bought a disposable one...hindsight! I didn't get many pictures of Johnny but I did take some of the set before it pooped out on me. I watched from the front of the jail for awhile and saw Mr. Mann come out and wave and bow to the crowd. I found it interesting how they would yell 'Rolling' and everyone (the whole crowd) would immediately hush until we heard 'Cut'. It left you with a feeling of participating in the movie.


After awhile I went back to the side street, since most everyone was up in front of the jail watching, so I would have time to get my camera ready for when they brought Johnny back. It seemed that if I took the batteries out and put them back in it would work ok for a few pics and them quit again. (cold draining the batteries?) When I heard the crowd screaming up front I quickly got into position. As his SUV rounded the corner I realize my camera wasn't going to work again. As his SUV got closer, I saw he had the window down and he was on my side! I said 'Hi Johnny!' and he looked me dead in the eye, said 'Hi' gave his signature little nod of the head and salute with that gorgeous smile of his. If I had reached out, and he had reached out, I could have 'high-five' him, he was THAT close to me!! And I will say right now...He is much better looking in real life than on screen! He made my day!



I floated around the rest of the day seeing him go back and forth to the set. Talked to a lot of the people in the crowd, some of the extras and one very nice lady doing security. I especially enjoyed talking to all the kids that were there. I talked to one little girl, around 9 years old, who was there with her Grandpa and 2 older sisters. She was asking everyone if they had Johnny's phone number. She was just precious! When she tried to tell me Johnny was her boyfriend I quickly told her "He can't be your boyfriend because my granddaughter says he's my boyfriend." She was just too cute and swore she had seen ALL his movies. The Grandpa and I had a laugh over that one because she isn't even old enough to have seen or get into half his movies.


Unfortunately I couldn't stick around to see if he would come out after everything was done to do autographs since I had such a long drive home. I had already stayed 2 hours longer than I had planned but I'm glad for the fans that could stay and did get to shake hands with him.


I may not have the photo of getting that close to Johnny but I will always have the memory of him smiling at me and saying Hi.


Now I have to find a way to wrap my head around work enough to finish up for the day and get the heck out of here. Until next post....

No comments: