Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Flooding continues

Will try to squeeze in a post, been crazy again at work...I still try to touch base with the rest of the world but I get absorbed in reading the news and eye witness reports and next thing you know it's late afternoon and I haven't posted yet!. The news sites like CNN show pictures but no story and no follow-up! Drives me nuts! lol! Like this one in Oakland, IA. It just breaks my heart to see these kind of things, not knowing how it turns out. Caption reads: Hogs struggle to breathe in a hog house Monday in Oakville, Iowa. That's it, no more to the story....grrrrrr

But then you come across this kind.

A Labrador retriever lived up to its name Friday when he plucked his 12-year-old owner out of the Platte River in Nebraska.Tony Bailey can usually swim in the river, but recent rains have pushed it up higher than normal and whipped up unusual currents. When Tony jumped into the Platte on Friday, he was quickly sucked in.
"It was, like, over my head and I couldn't touch," he said.He was only a few feet away from the shore, but the river current was strong enough that it was pulling him down and under. He said his cries for help weren't being heard by anyone, except Jake, the 4-year-old Lab.
"I was saying, 'Help, help,' and I saw him jump in, and then my head went under, and when I came up, he was right here by me," Tony said.Tony said the dog swam out next to him and he grabbed the dog's neck. The dog swam back to shore with the boy in tow."It's something that I wouldn't have expected him to do -- to have the brains to do, I guess," said Tony's mother, Diane.Diane Bailey said Jake isn't usually the smartest dog."He doesn't listen. He doesn't mind," she said."Sometimes he can act real hyper and weird," said Tony. "He'll pick up rocks and think they're balls and wants you to throw them to him."He was just smart enough on Friday."You think you know your dog so well, but then he does something like this," said Diane Bailey. "He's got a big heart and he does have a brain in there.""Thanks guy," said Tony. "I love him so much."Diane Bailey said she thinks the river channel changed during the flooding and washed out much of the bank where her son swims, which is why it was so unexpectedly deep. Jake got a very big bone for efforts and was forgiven for every hole he dug and all the mud he tracked into the house, the Baileys said. (and he deserved that big bone too. I figure he deserves to have his picture posted too...Good job, Jake!!)

Just had a call from my daughter, Amanda.... Maggie Rose, who will be 1 year old on June 30th, is walking!! Boy are they in for it...hahaha!!! Just a little background here. Maggie was born with bi-lateral club feet, meaning both feet were turned inward. It runs on my husband's side of the family and he was born with one foot that way. 10 days after she was born (only because of the Fourth of July holiday or would have been sooner) she had casts put on both legs. I have a picture here at work with the new casts and I will edit post later when I get home with a more current picture of her.

Of course, we all had to sign her casts even though we knew they had to change them weekly. Each week they would take her in, cut off the casts and put new ones on because they grow so fast at that age. When she was 10 weeks (I think) they went in and cut the Achilles tendon on each foot and put the casts on. She wore the casts until she was 12 weeks then she moved onto the shoes-on-a-bar. Once she could start moving around and crawling she only had to wear the bar at night or naps. It didn't seem to slow her down much and she never knew anything different. So she has crossed a milestone.

Ok, more from home later soooo check back :)

Late, late post. Got caught up making a cherry pie. Can't remember if I posted that I picked cherries from the trees out back the last 2 evenings. Now I have a pie cooling and ice cream ready lol



Here's our little trooper! We only spoil her a little ;)













Off to eat some pie. Take care and more tomorrow...

3 comments:

shakenbsis said...

Congratulations!!!!!! What a great milestone!! woo hoo!!!

Feel bad for the piggies though...

Rod said...

800 hogs died but many escaped, the farmer had to save his own life and he feels pretty bad about it.

I guess a levee broke.

Sucks! Sorry for the bad news

Karen said...

Hi Shakes,yes, she's come along way and such a sweetie. Of course, I'm a teeny bit biased lol
Hi Rod! Thanks for the info. Glad the farmer is okay but poor piggies. I know they aren't pets but still hate to see anyone or anything struggle :(