Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Paul McCartney and road trips

This Day in History:

June 18, 1942

Paul McCartney born

On this day in 1942, recording artist Paul McCartney is born in Liverpool, England. The son of a jazz-band leader, McCartney began playing guitar after his mother died of cancer in 1956. The following year, he met another young Liverpool musician, John Lennon, and joined Lennon's band, the Quarrymen. Later that year, he persuaded Lennon to add his friend, guitar player George Harrison, to the group. The three played together under several different names, and with assorted members, until 1960, when they adopted the name the Beatles.

The band toured German beerhouses in 1961 and debuted later that year at the Cavern Club in Liverpool, where they gave more than 300 performances during the next two years. Drummer Ringo Starr joined the group in 1962, just before the group hit the big time the following year. The band scored its first U.K. hits in 1963, launching the Beatlemania tidal wave that hit the United States in 1964. In a little more than 10 years, the group transformed rock and roll, scoring 20 No. 1 hits on the Billboard pop charts, more than any group in history. The group's records spent a total of 59 weeks topping the charts between 1964 and 1970.

I want to start today's blog with this story because it reminded me of a concert I went to in the late 80's. My sister, Alicia, and I went to see Paul in concert on Valentine's day one year in Indianapolis. We got us great seats! Row 10 but rows 1-9 were on the floor and row 10 was first row on the riser. When Paul was playing the piano from time to time he looked at us. Ok, ok I'm sure with the stage lights he couldn't see us but it looked to us like he was looking at us.

We laughed about the crowd. How a lot of the people were dressed up 70's style and how we had similar items in our wardrobes lol. The fringed suede jackets, thigh high boots, long straight hair, mini skirts and psychedelic clothes. We worked together also at the family printing firm and we had one of those fax machines that would copy too. Sooo....the next day before Alicia arrived for work I sneaked in and typed up a letter that read something like.

Alicia,

Had a great time after the show!

Thanks again!
Paul (for his name I put one of his promo sheets with his signature on it on a light table and traced it onto the letter)
Then I ran the letter through the fax machine to make it look like he had faxed it to her and put it on her work table. OH MY GOSH!! What a hoot we had for many days over that. It still brings a smile to my face after all these years. I think she still has it somewhere!
A few years later, 1994, The Rolling Stones were doing their Farewell Tour but no stops in Indianapolis. Alicia wanted to see them so I told her to check and see if they were coming to a city within a days drive and we could go to concert and stay the night in a hotel. Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati to name a few.
Did I mention Alicia is directionally challenged? No? Later that night she calls me too excited to talk.
"OHMYGOSHKARENYOUWON'TBELIEVEIT!!!" I swear it all came out as one word! Once I got her calmed down enough to understand her, she told me how she got 2 tickets for front row seats.
"Woohoo! front row!?" I asked
"Yesssss, can you believe it!"
"Where at?"
"The Metro Dome!"
Now, I didn't want to burst her bubble but the Metro Dome was in Minnesota!! That was like a 12 hour drive!! She thought it was in Michigan (Silver Dome) lol small mistake, right?! She's not a football fan either.
Well, as the saying goes...when given lemons make lemonade! We turned it into a road trip and it ended up with Mom going and taking her 3 daughters, me, Alicia and Kay, and those daughters took their daughters, Krista, Amanda and riding piggyback (Kay was pregnant) Bethany. We had an absolute blast. We hit some of the tourists spots on the way and, of course, with the all female group, the Mall of America, plus Alicia and I got to see the Stones Final Concert Tour! Even though our front row seats were the front row of the balcony but it didn't matter at this point because of the quality time we were having on the trip as a whole.
Alicia and I took a Taxi back to the hotel after the concert and it was the first time we had ever been in a Taxi. (Well, we were raised in the country and if you wanted to go somewhere you better get a job to buy some gas cause Dad didn't pay for that..quote-unquote LOL)
ahhhh......memories :) I've reminisced so long I'm out of time today...take care all....

3 comments:

shakenbsis said...

Very cute story! LOL

Saw on the news this am they are estimating over 70,000 lost their lives in the China quake. Horrifying...
They did have one bright story about the woman who was found after so many days had a healthy baby ;)

hard to believe all the natural disasters lately...

Karen said...

It sure is! World-wide! I also saw a story of how a nurse, who had a nursing child, began nursing babies without mother's or who's milk had dried up because of the trama. She was nursing 9 babies!! What a woman!

shakenbsis said...

Oh, that makes me want to bawl...