Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Challenge reply

This post is in reply to a challenge issued by Osh at http://thehousethatoshbuilt.blogspot.com/

Excerpt:
Think back on the last 15 years of your life. What would you tell someone that you hadn't seen or talked to for 15 years? How would you sum up your life? You get 10 bullet points. A list of 10 things to summarize about you.

This was way harder than I thought it would be. First to try to remember time sequence and second, once I remembered stuff, trying to shorten it into 10 bullets! lol After glancing back at the last fifteen years I really have to say my life seems pretty normal. It didn't at the time going through it but any crisis' were met, joys were enjoyed and there was new life and death. It reminded me of a line in a country song 'Life's about changes...' but for the life of me I can think who sings it or from what song. I thought Reba and then I thought it was Terri Clark but I'm not finding it. If anyone out there knows which one it is please let me know. It's driving me nuts now!! lol

Ok, here goes...

15 years ago it would have been 1993.

  • We still had 2 teenage kids living with us. Most of our time for that year and the next few would have been filled with Band. You name it and my kids were in it. Concert band, jazz band and the never ending summer Band! In 1994 they placed 4th in state! In order to watch over the kids but not seem to be watching over the kids, I volunteered to help run the concession stands. Boy, was that work! But it gave me a legitimate reason to hang out at school. (wink)
  • Went west with my Mom and 2 sisters. We went through 11 states in 5 days!! Had a blast all the way too!
  • Our son got married in 1997
  • 1998 our daughter graduated and at last we had no kids living with us LOL
  • 1999 the family 'snuck' down to Key West and surprised my brother for his big 5 0 birthday.
  • 2003 saw the birth of our first grandchild, Faith, and the end of a family business.
  • 2004 We settled into new jobs after 26 years on the same job and our daughter got married. With the marriage came a 13 year old step-granddaughter.
  • Grandma passed away at 97 years young. 3 weeks before her passing she was still taking 100 steps every morning on her Step Master. Lord, I hope I have her genes! Our second (or would it be third?) grandchild, Jack.
  • 2006 We gained a grandchild, Lillian, on Aug. 21st but I lost a brother on Aug. 23rd (his birthday).
  • 2007 Started off with another new grandchild, Maggie, VIP passes which included getting into the garage and pit road areas to see the Brickyard race where I met Richard Childress and got to 'rub elbows' with many, many drivers. And meeting Johnny Depp in 2008
(Edited: got in a hurry and had meeting Johnny in 2007 when it was just this March!..haste makes waste as Grandma said)

So, now you can see why I said it reminded me of that song line....Life's about changes...and how we deal with them. Me and mine, we try to think positive even though some days it's very hard to do that. We are lucky that we are part of a big family so we have a huge support group. If anything happens we are all there to help. Not just 1 or 2 but mostly the whole family. They are there to support you and they are there to celebrate with you, either way, they are there! In that I'm very blessed. There's the old adage that 'life is full of up and downs' and looking at this I'd have to agree. You have to learn to take the bad with the good and hope that in the end it balances out. I better get this posted because I'm starting to sound like Forest Gump! :P

Thanks Osh!!

Take care and God Bless....Until next post....



5 comments:

Osh said...

that is a lot of living in 15 years!

Karen said...

I know! Scared me after I had it all typed up. But it's better than the alternative. :)

Blaznfire911 said...

Followed you over from Osh's blog....That truly is a life lived! Now I am thinking of how to sum up my 15 years in 10!

Thanks for sharing!

Vicky

Elsbeth said...

You were a band parent??!! I was in marching band all through high school and college! (I play the trombone). What did your kids play?

Thank you so much for your donation to the LLS. It's so touching to have support from all over, and I really appreciate it.

Karen said...

Yesss I was a band parent...BIG time!! My son Jeremy started out on trombone in middle school then went on to play 8 instruments! He was elected drum major in his freshman year. Youngest in our schools history :) Was a proud mom moment! Our daughter played trumpet then the last 2 years in school she was in Color Guard. So I had 10 years of band!! Time well spent and it had a major effect on my kids life. For the better...
Your very, very welcome! Like you said every penny counts. Glad I can help.