Tuesday, August 26, 2008

From yard sale to Birthday party...

I'm back! Well, I was back yesterday but had too much catch up work to do....whew!! I finally got the slide show to load here. Geesh, that was an exercise in patience but don't those kids just make you smile? I've decided the Grandkids are my legacy. I may not have done much with my life here on earth but I did raise great kids and have the best Grandkids.
Thursday, I went and picked up Jack and Maggie and we played at my house all day. Surprisingly, Jack wanted to watch Cry Baby, LOL. Who am I to stop someone from watching a Johnny movie? He really liked all the singing. We also put together Pearl Sock. Pearl was made to be friends and play with Mr. Sock which Jack took home with him. Pearl, my second puppet made in many, many moons, has hair, red lips and a dress too. I got brave lol. I sacrificed a perfectly good pair of socks so Mr. Sock could have a friend but it was worth it for all the fun we had making her together. I started making Pearl talk to the cats and they totally freak out!! Poor Nadia and Sami are now scared for life because of puppets.
On Friday, I stayed over at their house to watch the kids. My mom and I helped Amanda out with her yard sale. The sale was a flop :( but we had some quality time and it was nice to have 4 generations sharing stories. Jack is still taking antibiotics for the strep throat so he was wound up. By 4:00 we were all hot, tired and hungry so we packed it up for the day. I picked up some McDonald's on my way home, hit the shower and promptly feel asleep on the couch watching the Nationwide race.
Saturday I met my parents, my younger sister Kay, Aunt Kathy and Ed and his wife Jana, old friends of my brother Phil, out at the cemetery. The 23rd would have been Phil's 59th birthday and it was the 2nd anniversary of his death. Ed had cancer of the larynx several years ago and used a voice box to talk but he found out a few months ago that he has cancer in his lungs and there is nothing they can do. He has gone from 160 lbs. to 112 lbs. in 2 months. This may be the last time he gets to celebrate birthdays with Phil. Mom, Dad, Kay and I went out afterwards for lunch then I met Bob, hubby, at Amanda and Tom's house and we took the kids over to the fair. Yes, I ate an Elephant Ear, well half of one, and mmmmm was it good!! I did resist the caramel apples though, so I was half good or half bad depending on how you want to look at it. :) Amanda is afraid of clowns and Ferris Wheels (don't ask me) so I took Jack on the Ferris Wheel and he was amazed that we could see his house. Then we hit the Fun House and the midway. After several tries to knock over a golf tee sitting between 2 pool balls to win a 14" Spiderman we gave up and the man running the trailer told Jack he could throw darts at balloons until he won. Have you ever tried to explain to a 2 year old how to throw a dart....straight? LOL He did finally burst 3 balloons and got a stuffed dog. He wasn't very happy cause he wanted the Spiderman but I guess it's just one of many lessons he will have to learn...you're not suppose to win big on the midway.
Sunday, we picked up Amanda and the kids and went to Richmond. Our first stop was to see Grandma Helen. She had been asking to see the kids for sometime and was so happy with our surprise visit. Then we were off to Lilly's birthday party. She is now 2 years old and loves her baby dolls. She got some new books to read and a couple new dolls, outfits to dress them up, doll diapers and bottles. Amanda got her a stroller for her dolls. She was one happy camper.
Now it's back to work for me. Jack had some kind of breathing attack Sunday night, so now he's on new antibiotics and breathing treatments. If his Dr. doesn't get a handle on what is going on with him soon I think we are going to have to go to Riley Hosp. to see if they can tell us more. He was sounding like me when I had bronchitis. With as much antibiotics as he has in his system I just don't think he should be getting anything and he should be tested better. We'll see how he does and then decide.
I saw this morning on the news that Gustav has been upgraded to a hurricane. Will keep you and the girls in my thoughts and prayers Shakes! I will be keeping an eye on this one. I better run and get some work done...stay safe.....until next post

6 comments:

shakenbsis said...

Hi Karen,
I just noticed that too (about Gustav) thanks for the paryers, little Jack will be in mine as well...

"I may not have done much with my life here on earth but I did raise great kids and have the best Grandkids."

What better legacy Karen!!! BRAVO!!!

Karen said...

Thanks for the prayers. Can always use those!

Gustav looks like a mean one that could get worse before nearing the US. Sure hope things are okay in Haiti. I can't seem to find any news out of Haiti....grrrr I hate the not knowing!!

shakenbsis said...

Yeah, it's not unusual for it to take some time for news to get out of Haiti, if it ever gets out!

very frustrating...

Osh said...

love love the pictures of the grandkids!

Rick said...

Grandchildren are a wonderful legacy. We're not there yet. Our oldest is getting married in Oct. I must admit that I think about grandchildren already, but I'm in no hurry for them.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.