Monday, August 11, 2008

Grandma's Buttons

I finally got to open that bottle of Merlot. Mmmmm :) As you can see I took a generous helping lol


I loaded up some pictures of Hubby's Grandma's button jars. They are blue tinted Ball Jars. There are all kinds of buttons in them. Some are pressed metal. Even more interesting is the things she used to keep sets together. Old safety pins and wires. I haven't even begun to look through them. Just think of the stories they could tell.

So many little treasures

and here's some close up's. The ones on the right say 1925 and they are 'Bluebird Domestic Pearl' buttons. The ones on the left are 'Chic' buttons from 1933. These buttons were around during the depression, prohibition and WWII...



I snapped a picture of the saw too. Nobody seems to know how old it is but it's very old. His Grandparents owned a 98 acres dairy farm. Hubby hung it above his work bench in the garage.


Off to finish my wine...have a safe evening...

5 comments:

shakenbsis said...

I love this post, love old things, especially old things someone I loved has handled...

Glad you finally got to crack open that Merlot ;)

Did you watch Corpse Bride? It was kinds cute I thought.

I'm glad your hubby got to spend some time with his Dad, tough times...

Karen said...

Our 5 year old granddaughter, Faith, watched Corpse Bride over and over and over. It's one of Johnny's movies that I don't have to 'see' so I get things done and just listen to that marvelous voice :) while the kids are entertained. I can't wait to really sit down and go through all the goodies in the jars!

p.s. the Merlot was delicious ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Gf just saw all about the buttons ( smile) thanks for sharing and I did enjoy reading about your weekend even if I knew about it ... well kinda .... I have now added this to my favorites so will visit from time to time .... wish we was sitting over a cup of coffee well me anyway and you maybe your wine .... keep up the great work here ..... FF ..... Linda

Karen said...

awwwww thank you (((((GF)))))!!! So glad you stopped by again! Will fill you in on more with a phone call. I wish we could sit and talk over any kind of drink too :( We will again someday, I know. Now I'm getting sad thinking about how far apart we are...

For anyone checking comments the one above is my Best Best Girlfriend that I went down to Kentucky to help pack for her move to New Jersey.

shakenbsis said...

Hi Linda!
Nice to meet you!!! ;)

Aren't best friends THE BEST?!?!?!